We help you achieve your language education goals

By helping you understand what you can do in English.

The Only CLB Testing Centre in Halifax and Across Nova Scotia

"Learn English Nova Scotia" administers a number of CLB-based tests to help you achieve your language education goals.

Learn More

Language Education Counselling

Get access to free* English language programs, courses, and training activities across Nova Scotia.

Learn More

For Test Takers

Apply for your free* assessment today and get recognized for your proof of language proficiency.
* Assessments are free for eligible immigrants only. Check our FAQ section to find out on your eligibility.

Apply for an Assessment

About Us

Learn English Nova Scotia* helps you understand what you can do in English. We administer a number of official English language assessments and connect you with up-to-date information about English language classes in your area and programs available online.
* Also operating as Language Assessments Services of Nova Scotia (LASNS).
LASNS is a licensed Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) language assessment and Canadian English Language Benchmark Assessment for Nurses (CELBAN) testing centre.

How we can help you:

English language tests

Take a Language Test

Do you want to know what you can do in English in listening, speaking, reading, and writing?

Taking an assessment will help you understand where your current skills are scored on the official benchmark. Apply for an assessment online and take the first step towards achieving your language education goals!

Apply for a Language Assessment
Language Education Counselling

Improve your English skills

Do you need to know more about language training, courses, counselling, and programs available to you in your town, across Nova Scotia, or online?

We're proud to partner with leading organizations across Nova Scotia to help you access the resources you need to reach your goals.

Learn More about Language Education and Training

Get proof of your English proficiency for work or school

Do you need proof of your English language proficiency for your school, employer, or Canadian nursing regulators?

Licensed as an official testing centre for CLB and CELBAN assessments, we're happy to help you acquire your credentials.

Learn More about CLBPT and CELBAN

Friendly staff and the support
you need to get started in Canada. 

Do you:

  • Want to learn or improve your English and/or French?

  • Plan to move to Canada?

  • Want to learn more about Canadian culture?

  • Need employment?

We can help. Schedule your free appointment now:

Apply for a Free* Assessment

Submit an Application
Learn English NS

Frequently Asked Questions

Have a specific question? Find it here or contact us for more info.

Who can have a free English test with LENS? What proof do I need?

You may be eligible for a free language assessment and classes if you are one of the following:

  • A permanent resident of Canada or a PR applicant with a valid work permit or a Ukrainian Temporary Resident (CUAET)

  • A protected person or a refugee claimant

  • A Canadian citizen born outside of Canada

  • An individual awaiting statutory CIC checks

  • A Nova Scotia nominee and their dependants

  • An international graduate with a valid work or post graduate permit

  • An Atlantic Immigration Program (AIP) candidate or an AIP candidate's dependant(s)

Can I use the results of my CLB assessment at LENS for proof of language for Citizenship?

No. The following options are available to those seeking for proof of their language skills for citizenship purposes:

How can I apply for a free test with LENS?
  • Submit an online application form through our website.

  • Stop by at our office on Quinpool Road in Halifax. We can help you to submit the form online if you do not have a computer or find it difficult to do it on your own.

If I live outside of the Halifax Regional Municipality, can I still take the test?

Yes. We offer online and in-person testing services throughout of Nova Scotia.

What parts of Nova Scotia do you serve?

All. Depending on your computer and English language skills, we can offer you the option to take the test online from your home computer. If this is a challenge, we will make other arrangements for your test.

Can I take the computer-based English test from home?

Yes but we will need to determine if you are eligible for online assessment. Our staff will ask you questions to find out if you can take the test online.

What does the word “proctor” stand for?
  • A proctor is a person who will check your immigration documents before your test and will help you to log in and log out of the website which we use for the test.

  • A proctor is also a person who might become a valuable source of information about local services for newcomers in your area.

How long do I have to wait before I can take my test?

We strive to provide our services in a fast and efficient manner; however, due to the high demand for our test, the current waiting times are longer and can take up to 12 weeks since the moment you applied for assessment.

Appointments are made from Monday to Friday for the following time slots:

  • 9:30 am – 12:00 pm

  • 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm

  • Evening assessments can be offered by request. Unfortunately, we do not offer tests on the weekends.

How should I prepare for my test?
  • Try to schedule your test on a day when you do not have other appointments.

  • Get lots of sleep the night before.

  • Do a relaxing activity before you come.

What do I need to bring on the test day?

If you have an in-person assessment, bring yourself and your immigration documents (i.e. Canadian passport, Permanent Resident card, nominee letter, AIPP designation letter, work permit and letter proving you have applied for permanent resident status).

If you are scheduled for online assessment, please have a valid photo ID on you to prove your identity. Make sure that your Internet connection is stable and follow the assessor's guidelines.

Is childcare available at LENS?

No. Please make arrangements for somebody to look after your children while you are taking the test.

What can I expect on the test day?

Your in-person assessment at LENS will take around 2 hours (online test - 2.5 hours).

First, you will have your test and a short meeting - Language Education Counselling - with your assessor who will discuss your results and what programs you are eligible for.

The test - in-person or online - consists of:

  • 15-20 minute listening and speaking interview

  • 30 minutes of reading (multiple choice)

  • 30 minutes of writing (three writing tasks of different complexity)

  • Face-to-face Language Education Counselling will be around 10 - 15 minutes long
    (An email with the assessment report and assessor's recommendations will be sent to clients who took the online test 24 hours after the test)

What can I use my test results for?

You can use the CLBPT results to:

  • find out how well you can speak, listen, read and write in English

  • enroll into a free government-funded language course

  • set your personal language learning path

  • prove your English language skills to your employer or apply for the Adult Learning Program or English for Academic Purposes at NSCC.

How long are my test results valid for?

Your test results are valid for up to 2 years (24 months).

If I disagree with the assessor’s marks, what do I do?

Please inform us about this situation as soon as possible. We will arrange a second assessor to look at your test papers and will let you know about our decision promptly.

Apply for a free* assessment

Have a language assessment and find out the best path for you!
Get Started
* Assessments are free for eligible immigrants only. Please scroll up, or click here for our FAQ section to find out on your eligibility.

Why take an assessment?

Taking an assessment is the first step to achieving your language education goals. Do you:

Want to know what you can do in English in listening, speaking, reading, and writing?
Need to know more about language training available to you in your town and across Nova Scotia?
Need proof of your English language proficiency for your school or your employer?

We make it easy to understand what you can do in English and help prepare you to be language ready.

Learn English Nova Scotia is a licensed testing site for the CLB and CELBAN, and can refer you to language counselling and the right programs for your goals. Get started today by applying for an assessment!